Wednesday, March 22, 2017

The Shack

The Shack is a New York Best Selling Novel that was recently turned into a motion picture. I read the book and fell in love with the characters. The Shack follows the story of pain, forgiveness, struggles and happiness of a man named Mack and his family who lose the youngest member of their family; Missy who was kidnapped and murdered by a serial child murderer aka The Ladybug Killer.

When I was in bible study, one of my group mates asked me if I had seen the movie. When I replied "yes I loved it! Did you see it?" She turned her head to the side and said "no because I have an issue with the worship of false Gods." When I asked her if she read the book and she said yes, that made me even more confused. If you read the book, how would you think there's worship of false Gods? She then went to say "Well I mean, do you think God would come as a big black woman?" Then it hit me, she has no idea what the purpose of God showing himself in that way, played by Octavia Spencer. 

Yes, I do think God would show himself as a big black woman.

It's easy and simple as to why God showed himself in that way to Mack. In the film when Mack was a little boy he sought solace in mother figures; and God showed himself as a nurturing black woman who got him to open up and make better choices. Which make sense because  later on in the film, that same trusting figure came to Mack in one of the most trying times of his life.

God knows what and who we need,

So to me, that's no different than God showing himself to us through others. When I look around and see the act of God shine through my fellow people, it's beautiful. God shows himself through me, I am black, through my friends who are mixed races and through this woman who asked that daring question who herself is a big white woman.

Classic case of judging a book by its cover, or in this case a movie. 

When you read the book, there's such deep meaning and revelation of God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. The descriptions were painted so lovely that I can't escape the imagery. I recommend the movie and the novel. I ask that you have an open mind and truly search for the truth between the words; and if something doesn't make sense then I want you to look it up. Look up the definitions and meanings until they make sense to you. 

Lastly.

God can and will show himself in anyway he sees fit. No one on earth knows what God looks like.

No comments: