Monday, March 13, 2017

The Power of the Tongue

During this months series at church, Pastor Ryan at Edge Church kicked it off a few weeks ago with The Power of the Tongue. He uses many examples that paint a vivid picture of how powerful such a small instrument can be.

James 3:3-6 When we put bits into the mouths of horses to make them obey us, we can turn the whole animal. Or take ships as an example. Although they are so large and are driven by strong winds, they are steered by a very small rudder wherever the pilot wants to go. Likewise, the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole body, sets the whole course of one’s life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

Trying to tame such a thing is hard. Personally it's something that I've been struggling with for some time. What really sucks is when you're lied too on a constant basis in a  setting that should warrant for some type of trust. It's not easy to move on, and work with people who willingly are lying to you with a smile on their face. Whether its at home, at work, with friends or with family. Who likes being put in uncomfortable situations? I know I don't.

So why allow yourself to stay in one? 

That's a question I ask myself daily and the truth is, I'm not in that space anymore. I'm not allowing myself to be placed in this situation. God puts us in places that's meant to help us or for us to help others. When either one of those things are in jeopardy, it's not a place where I want to be or should be. God didn't put me here to struggle, he put me here to prosper and live the next best chapter of my life.

So I'm going to do just that. I'm going to put myself in a position where I'm living the best part of my life in this moment. I'm going to do whatever it takes, despite the wrongdoing, to make sure this chapter is a kick ass one. Along that journey, I ask for prayers when it comes to holding my tongue. ;)

<3 Ebony

No comments: