Wednesday, April 6, 2016

The Wait & My Thoughts


Alrighty! So first things first I've been practicing "the wait" for a while before reading this book. My personal reason for practicing the wait wasn't to wait until marriage if I may be honest. Instead, I'm celibate because I want to know what it's like to feel loved when I do share myself with someone. I want to be with someone who loves me just as much as I love them, and I believe that I'm worth it. Also I suggest reading this book with intention to getting to know yourself better and being open minded to receiving some reality  and letting go of the past. Don't go into reading this and believe that once you're finished that your prince charming will fall out of the sky. That's not how it works, that's not how any of this works! Instead, think about the benefits that you'll have, the new mind, attitude and so on that can come from this book.                                                                                                                                       
I've heard plenty of hype, Meagan and DeVon have been doing quite a bit of press, so it's inevitable that I would see them or hear about their latest creation. The Wait is basically about celibacy before marriage. DeVon was celibate for ten years before  marrying Meagan, so that was my first reason for purchasing this book. Another reason was plain old curiosity, and I love reading, so I figured why not!                                                                                                                  
 So here is what I thought about The Wait.  The beginning was a little rough mainly because it was redundant for me. I knew the basics but I also understand that there are some people who don't know these things. After I got past that I thought it was a pretty good read, very conversational and the way it's written makes it seem like they're speaking to you and not AT you. One thing I picked up from this book was the realization that people will fall off based on your decision to wait and be disciplined. I'm not just talking about the opposite sex, I'm also talking about friends! I noticed my circle shifted a little when I decided to be dedicated to waiting and seeing what God has for me. I noticed that the negative people, the ones who I was closest too BUT they had a negative attitude, mind and heart dropped off QUICK, and I was okay with it. Also, telling men that I'm dating that I'm waiting will either make them stay or leave, 75% of the time they leave but want to remain friends. I believe that they want to remain friends for the hope of getting some, so instead I suggest that they leave altogether.  

Secondly, it put many things into perspective for me. This book wasn't just about strengthening my heart and my connection with God; it was one of many tools God used to help me figure out who I am. I also noticed how my career was going quickly in the direction I've always desired, blessings happened and so on is in fact, influenced by my decision to be disciplined and follow his will for me. I think clearer, I'm happier, I have a very active and satisfying dating life and my friends are amazing, new and old who understand my journey. Hell, I still have a friend who's a virgin and she's in her late 20's, that to me is beautiful!

Thirdly, I'm waiting, and I'm dating and that is okay! I was glad to see that the book talked about this. Dating for me is awesome because it continues to show me what I like, don't like, want and don't want. What I thought I wanted in a man wasn't necessarily true after I dated one who met everything on my checklist. I found an amazing guy who understands me waiting and started reading the book also, talk about support huh?  Making better decisions for yourself will always lead to great results, whether it's exercise, eating better, sleeping more, hygiene, etc. the wait is no exception; it too has benefits. 

I recommend this book because I believe it's shortly sold , it offers WAY more than what's been talked about, showed or reviewed. If you truly take the time to read and understand the material, soak in what Meagan and DeVon are saying, it can only be beneficial. 

<3 Ebony 


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

love this! you're awesome

DeneƩ Colleen said...

I began reading The Wait and honestly I had to take a break. A lot of things in the book really do not apply to me, and additionally I heard Devon's voice as I was reading it and less of Megan's. It really felt like a man was policing my body and telling me how I would be rewarded spiritually.

I'll give it another try in the up and coming weeks.

-DeneƩ Colleen
wwww.agemstory.com