Thursday, April 21, 2016

Prince the King

As I wrapped up my Prince tribute with "Lets Go Crazy" I can't help but feel overwhelmed with the mass amounts of texts, tweets and direct messages from people saying they loved and appreciated the Prince tribute. I also am not surprised to see the younger generation ask questions of "who is this?" "this is awesome, can you play more of him?"

Music, good music is indestructible. It lives for plenty of generations and makes anyone feel good. It doesn't matter if it's rock, rap, soul, funk, pop, country the list goes on. Prince, I love him to pieces. I would always joke with my auntie that he's my husband and not hers, I would constantly sing him at work and drive my former coworker Latoya crazy. I also said I wanted to hire him for my wedding just for him to say "Dearly beloved."

One thing I hope people get from his passing is the understanding of real music. The knowledge of the art, word play, love, and pain that creates masterpiece after masterpiece.  If you have a great product, stand out a little, have a great sound, it's inevitable that your music and you will live on forever. Look at David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and now Prince (of course the list is way longer than this)

I want artists who are trying to break it in the industry, those who don't truly have their own voice and those just looking around to listen to him. See why Prince is timeless, be daring, take risks, stand out, dress how you feel,  wear eyeliner if you want whatever you do be genuine, because being genuine has a sense of longevity and is ultimately timeless and lives past death.  I hope that some type of recreation can come from this, it won't be the same as the original, and honestly, I don't want it to be. What I do want, is for that love, daring nature, danger, honesty, heartbreak,  the need to breathe and release creative gold and all the other emotions we get from music to come back to life.

My favorite line "I'm not your lover, I"m not your friend. I am something that you'll never comprehend"  - Prince "I Would Die for You."


RIP to my favorite artist of all time Prince Roger Nelson 1958-2016

No comments: