Tuesday, September 9, 2014

MESSAGE: SUPPORT


Maybe a month or so ago a "friend" questioned my support when it came to their events. I was amused until he proceeded to talk on something that he had no room to speak on. Today I received a message about support and how someone appreciates my support, financial and presence wise. Here's how I feel about it, as I wrote a nice status on Facebook I decided to delete it and create a blog. 

I have so much love and appreciation for those who I know and don't who support my craft. I'm not just talking about a "like" on a status or a comment of "good job" "congrats" etc. I'm talking about the ones who come out of pocket of maybe $9-15 to buy a book. Someone who spends gas to make it to events, those people I love dearly. As a creative mind and using writing as an outlet seeing people post my book and saying "go get it! this is hilarious" warms my heart. I released my first novel about two years ago and I run into people who say "man I still need to cop the first one" ... I just smile and go about my day. I know they wont "cop the first one". If they haven't had time to spend $10 on the first one in the matter of two years, what's a couple more right? ;) 

Verbal support is great too. The more word of mouth people have about your project the more people it will reach. Word of mouth or words of the keyboards spread awareness to an audience you probably couldn't have reached on your own. So for those who talk about my projects, post to Instagram, Facebook, re tweet whatever, thank you. 

Here's where support claims bother me. You can't get mad and try to give verbal lashings at someone when they don't support you. Look at what you're doing? Have you supported them? Have you bought a mix-tape/cd, a book, gone to events and so on? If no (like my friend) then why have the audacity to get mad when those people don't support you? People at times want you to do for them, give for them clear your schedules for them. I know the people who wont do that for me; and for those people I don't support your events, your crafts or anything else you have going on. Simply because of the greed, the judgment and attitude that comes from their direction. Alaska is small despite it's size; so when you speak ill about someone else, trust me others will find out. Why would anyone want to be in business or associated with a bad mouthed foul person?

When I have time I most certainly go to events, I do grab mix-tapes and buy local artists cds. I don't showcase it or brag about it. Instead I send it out to other radio personalities who have to ability to play it on the radio. I do my support in a quiet way and don't want recognition by it.  By me being a creative mind I understand the hustle and I can't help but respect those who I see working just as hard if not harder than I do.

So for my writers, rappers, dancers, photographers, artists etc. I see you! Keep on doing what you're doing I'm sure we will link up when we reach the top. May god be with us because Lord knows our chosen profession require a lot of dedication, heart and faith.