Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Own Your Sh*t

The first thing that comes to my mind whenever I decide to write a new blog is: sorry dad. 

Thinking of the soon to be Deacon reading the words of his foul mouth little angel makes me giggle. Some people are surprised by the openness I have with my father. "you seriously talk to him about sex?" or "did you just say that?" my response is  "um... yeah, and why not?"  here's how I see it, it's better for him to hear it from me first. Since he's an avid reader of my website and all things that I write, he'll find it out  anyway.

So let's get to it, this blog isn't that bad pops.... I promise.  

I was thinking about how easy some things could be if we did one simple task. Well I guess it's not so simple, because if it were truly easy, then more people would do it... right? When I decided to own my show sh*t and realize that for some of my problems, it were my fault and not others, things got a little more clear. Looking right into my reflection of my dirty mirror, I  realized, it's time we start to own our sh*t.

Get out of your own way.

I wonder how many blessings I stopped from coming my way  (in the interim) because of my stubbornness, self-centered behavior, and childlike manner pointing the finger at everyone else except me. So, one day, I experimented, I wrote down some situations and truly got into how I got there and tried to track it down to why it happened. 2 out of the 5 situations were my doing. I sat on this for a moment, because 2 of the 5 are the BIGGEST issues I have. I sat, took a deep breath and learned to become okay with my circumstances and thus work harder to find a way out. In my mind: if I were the problem, I can find the solution. 

By owning it, I gained my power over the situation.

I line it with the power of forgiveness. Forgiveness of others is not for them, it's for you. The release and relief you feel once you've allowed yourself to forgive, grow in the emotion and move on with life, that weight you've been feeling for awhile, is now lifted off your shoulders. You feel free, you're in charge, you wonder why you let it bother you in the first place. The same goes for owning your own sh*t. 

You have to forgive yourself

Love yourself and know that you are worthy of receiving all the blessings you desire and then some. They say God is a good good father, and he is. Like a parent, he loves you unconditionally even with all your flaws (which are his perfections) and mistakes you make. Own up to it or repent it, whatever you want to call it. Wear the grown-up undies and own it, leave it, love it, and move on. Forgiving yourself and owning when you're wrong does set you free. 

It's a scary thought, looking in the mirror and saying "I caused this" especially if the aftershocks are so dreadful all you can do is curl up in a ball. After all, who in their right mind would willing put themselves through pain? So here it is little duckies, own your sh*t and learn to love yourself. set yourself free from you. Also, be easy on yourself, you're only human and we all make mistakes. 

<3 Ebony 

No comments: